Below you will find current data and facts about dentists and dentistry in 2019:
Facts About Dentists:
- There are approximately 195,000 practicing dentists in the United States (ADA).
- For every 100,000 people, there are 60.9 dentists.
- 69% of dentists are male, 31% are female.
- 16.3% of dentists are under 35, 23.3% are between the ages of 35 and 44, 21.2% are between the ages of 45 and 54, 23.5% are between 55 and 64, and 15.9% are over the age of 65.
- Currently, more dentists are retiring every year than are entering the profession.
- The average dentist retires at 68 years old.
- Current average salary for a dentist is $153,900 per year in the United States.
- Job satisfaction as a dentist tends to fall in the “average” range among an analysis of various national surveys (US News).
Facts About Dental Patients:
- 64% of US adults go to the dentist at least once a year.
- The average person will spend 40 days brushing their teeth in their lifetime.
- Dentists recommend people brush their teeth for between 2-3 minutes at least twice a day. Most people only brush for 45 seconds.
- 78% of people have a cavity before the age of 18.
- People who drink soda regularly experience 62% more tooth decay than those who don’t.
- Every tongue print is unique. The same is true of teeth, that they are unique to each individual.
- Blue toothpaste is the most trusted color. People think it works the best (there is no specific benefit to any color of toothpaste).
- Only 75% of people brush their teeth daily.
- Your gums are one of the strongest indicators of overall physical health.
- You should replace your toothbrush every 4-6 weeks. Most people don’t replace their toothbrush every year.
- Most people with good dental hygiene routines started at a young age. It is much harder to create strong habits once you’re an adult.
Looking to find a highly-rated dentist in your area? Use our zip code search to find a dentist near you today!